Lasting Results Part 7 David and Goliath (Audio/Dramatized)
Knowledge and Understanding
(David and Goliath)
1. When David fought against Goliath he drew near to him. (To defeat him)
1 Samuel 17:40-41 (Equipped, prepared, decisive, and alert)
"Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine. 41 So the Philistine came, and began drawing near to David, and the man who bore the shield went before him." NKJV
"For you shall not go out in haste, and you shall not go in flight, for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard." RSV
2. Why could David draw near to Goliath? (His enemy)
3. Answer, because David was not afraid of Goliath. (His enemy)
4. Why, because David had knowledge and understanding of the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel.
1 Samuel 17:45
"Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. " NKJV
5. Compare this to the believer today.
"Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." NKJV
6. God, Lord, Jesus-which is easier to speak?
7. I made a decision to speak the name of Jesus to make a distinction.
We have the Name!
(Some knowledge and Understanding)
"But Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but I give you what I have; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." RSV
"and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him." RSV
"And in His name Gentiles will trust." NKJV
"But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he (Saul/Paul) is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel" RSV
"Therefore [because He stooped so low] God has highly exalted Him and has freely bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, That in (at) the name of Jesus every knee should (must) bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, And every tongue [frankly and openly] confess and acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." AMP
8. Goliath also drew near to David. (To defeat him)
1 Samuel 17:41
"So the Philistine came, and began drawing near to David, and the man who bore the shield went before him." NKJV
9. Why could Goliath draw near to David?
10. Answer, because Goliath was not afraid of David.
11. Why, because Goliath had knowledge and understanding of what he believed.
12. Goliath had his gods.
1 Samuel 17:43
"So the Philistine said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods."
13. So now we see the picture in scripture.
14. Not only in this account but in every battle we face.
1 Samuel 17:3
"The Philistines stood on a mountain on one side, and Israel stood on a mountain on the other side, with a valley between them." NKJV
15. Therefore we have the kingdom of darkness on one side and the Kingdom of God on the other side.
16. Again, David was not afraid.
17. Why because he had knowledge and understood how things work.
18. David had boldness.
19. David had faith.
20. David had the truth.
21. David also recalled some experiences of past victories.
1 Samuel 17:31-37 (Notice the faith statements)
"Now when the words which David spoke were heard, they reported them to Saul; and he sent for him. Then David said to Saul, "Let no man's heart fail because of him; your servant will go and fight with this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are a youth, and he a man of war from his youth." But David said to Saul, "Your servant used to keep his father's sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock, I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it. Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God." Moreover David said, "The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." NKJV
Application for the believer!
22. In battle we need to be sure that we have:
* Correct knowledge
23. We need to recall some experiences of our past victories.
24. Here is David’s knowledge and understanding of how things work in this situation.
25. Because I said that David had knowledge and understood how things work.
26. His knowledge and understanding kept fear out and boldness in.
1 Samuel 17:46-52 (David speaking his knowledge and understanding)
"This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you.
And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
Then all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord's, and He will give you into our hands."
So it was, when the Philistine arose and came and drew near to meet David, that David hurried and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine.
Then David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone; and he slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the earth.
So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and struck the Philistine and killed him. But there was no sword in the hand of David. (See also Revelation 12:11)
Therefore David ran and stood over the Philistine, took his sword and drew it out of its sheath and killed him, and cut off his head with it.
And when the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they fled." NKJV
27. See also the account of “The Priests of Baal Fail” 1 Kings 18:20-40. (Elijah against Baal’s 450 prophets)
28. Notice that Goliath also had knowledge and understood how things could work for him.
29. Goliath had his agenda. (Satan also)
1 Samuel 17:8-10
"Then he (Goliath) stood and cried out to the armies of Israel, and said to them, "Why have you come out to line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and you the servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves, and let him come down to me. If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then we will be your servants. But if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall be our servants and serve us." And the Philistine said, "I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together." NKJV
30. Goliath had boldness.
31. Goliath had faith.
32. Goliath had what he considered as the truth. (His gods) (1 Samuel 17:43)
33. Goliath also had some experience from his past.
1 Samuel 17:33
"And Saul said to David, "You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are a youth, and he a man of war from his youth." NKJV
34. Knowledge and understanding will manifest long lasting results.
35. We can see this in the account of David and Goliath.
36. This account of David’s life is still with us today. (Lasting results)
37. It has been recorded in God’s word so we can have the knowledge and understanding in our battles against the Goliaths in our life.
38. May our life be filled with: (Maintenance is involved)
* Correct knowledge
* and the Truth
-to influence our children (and others)
-for long lasting results
-so they can hand it down to their children
-and children’s children.
Results of no maintenance!
"Only take heed, and keep your soul#5315 diligently, lest you forget the things which your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life; make them known to your children and your children's children" - RSV (Soul = life)
"Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you." AMP
1 Peter 5:8-9
"Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour. Withstand him; be firm in faith [against his onset — rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined], knowing that the same (identical) sufferings are appointed to your brotherhood (the whole body of Christians) throughout the world." AMP
To be continued…